Our brain releases a neurotransmitter, dopamine, which is crucial for numerous essential bodily functions.
Dopamine is great for the following body functions:
- Regulating movement
- Controlling the center of pleasure and reward in the brain
- Improving the cognitive functions (knowledge, attention, memory, decision-making, evaluation, problem-solving)
- Regulating the secretion of prolactin
- Since it is extremely important for our wellbeing and happiness, the reduced levels of dopamine lead to various health issues, such as depression, sadness, negativity, and various emotional troubles.
- Fortunately, there are 10 effective ways to raise the dopamine levels in the body, without using medications:
- The exercise of every kind raises the levels of dopamine, serotonin, and endorphin.
- Regular exercise provides happiness, strengthens the body, reduces stress.
- Addiction to alcohol, drugs, gambling, sex, and even shopping, provide instant pleasure, but it is not a permanent solution.
- Additions only temporarily satisfy our needs.
- Moreover, addictions alter our lifestyle in favor of the source of the addiction, and it is a wicked cycle.
- Therefore, you should try and lower the risk of developing addictions, enjoy life, and find things that provide deeper calmness and happiness.
- Also, it is of great importance to work a job you enjoy.
- Make sure you regularly detoxify your system, as the accumulation of toxins and bacteria in the body prevents the dopamine production and weakens the immunity.
- Tyrosine is one of the 22 essential amino acids used for the creation of proteins.
- It is actually the most important chemical for the dopamine production of dopamine.
- Besides dopamine, it also has the potential to elevate norepinephrine levels.
- In order to raise its levels in the body, you should consume green tea, watermelon, almonds, bananas, avocados, and dark chocolate.
- Dopamine levels are also increased through listening to music, even though it may be short-term.
- Therefore, use music as a common way to raise dopamine levels.
Organize your life
- The levels of dopamine are raised in the case of organized small daily tasks, even though they are hard at times.
- You should write your tasks down on a piece of paper, and check them off. In this way, you will be satisfied as you note that you finish them one by one.
- The Principles of Self-Management state that if a task represents a change of 25% (or bigger change) in the routine, you will feel unable to finish it, and often ends up with a self-sabotage or giving up.
- Yet, if the task changes 10% of your routine, you will succeed to complete it, as you will believe it is small.
- Therefore, balance tasks to be 10 and 25% of new behaviors, in order to try new and challenging things, but still not too difficult to complete.
- The levels of dopamine in the brain are also elevated with a creative activity.
- This will also keep you focused.
- You do not need to become a world-known artist but try dancing, singing, writing, sculpturing, painting, drawing, cooking, knitting, making crafts, and auto repair, and you will feel much better right away.
Get a Streak Going
- In this sense, “streak” will mean a visual reminder of the number of times in a row you do something.
- This is similar to organizing the tasks, and accomplishing them.
- This will raise the levels of dopamine, and make you happier and satisfied.
- You should use a calendar, write your goals, and plan when to complete them.
- As soon as you finish the task, mark it off on your calendar.
- Yet, the drawback of the ‘streak’ is routine, so you should find a way to enhance the performance.
Dopamine levels can also be raised through supplementation, such as:
- Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, effectively increases dopamine in the brain.
- Ginkgo Biloba has a potential to raise dopamine levels as well.
- Acetyl-l-tyrosine is a building block of dopamine, so a healthy dose of it supports the production of dopamine in the brain.
- L-theanine increases numerous neurotransmitters in the brain, including dopamine.
- Green tea is a rich source of l-theanine.
- Meditation raises the levels of dopamine in a different way that cardio exercises.
- It improves your mood, creates mental energy, and relaxes the mind.
- Meditation is an efficient way to reduce stress on a daily basis.